It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Latest patch 3.4
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:57 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

and once again a short patch notice (no new version):

Our "man of the day" Julius managed it to decrease the lagging of the server extremely. The log in and the score calculation is now as quick as it should be.

The ranking list had a minor fix.
You will need to give it some days though to show the actual rankings of the individual players correctly.
(At the moment, there are a lot player shown who hasen't been online for quite a while)
This will balance out itself during the next days.

Thanks for your patience during the last days when it was very difficult to log in at some points!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:58 am 
Corporal
Corporal

liran wrote:
- Quitting online matches reduces rank dramatically.

Obviously, the image above shows a disconnected game that counts as a quitted game against me.

Things like this happen all the time and it is not fair at all.

Also, quitting a game, is an option and only a very small number of players that found this topic know that "Quitting online matches reduces rank dramatically".

My suggestion: Do not penalize quitted games at the rankings. Count them as simple loses.

Instead, as a penalty, award zero SM credits to those that quit.

I believe that this way the system will be more fair and more simple.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:45 am 
Major
Major

captain1821 wrote:
liran wrote:
- Quitting online matches reduces rank dramatically.

Spoiler:

Obviously, the image above shows a disconnected game that counts as a quitted game against me.

Things like this happen all the time and it is not fair at all.

Also, quitting a game, is an option and only a very small number of players that found this topic know that "Quitting online matches reduces rank dramatically".

My suggestion: Do not penalize quitted games at the rankings. Count them as simple loses.

Instead, as a penalty, award zero SM credits to those that quit.

I believe that this way the system will be more fair and more simple.

I think it is better to penalize quitting, it has always given a loss but that never really deterred people. Sometimes quitting is the best option but I still think this is the right way to go. Unfortunate that your net always cuts out though that would not be an issue with the game mechanics but your isp.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:20 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Korupt wrote:
I think it is better to penalize quitting, it has always given a loss but that never really deterred people. Sometimes quitting is the best option but I still think this is the right way to go. Unfortunate that your net always cuts out though that would not be an issue with the game mechanics but your isp.

Explain this to me: When almost NO-ONE knows (except a handful of people that happen to read this topic) that quitting will harm your rankings how will this deter people?

Even if everyone learns about this, how will it deter people when very few of us actually care about the rankings?

You want an effective way to penalize quitting and make people to actually fight? Strike quitters somewhere that really hurts. Give them zero SM credits for quitting or even better make them pay SM credits for every quitted game.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:04 pm 
Major
Major

captain1821 wrote:
Korupt wrote:

Explain this to me: When almost NO-ONE knows (except a handful of people that happen to read this topic) that quitting will harm your rankings how will this deter people?

Even if everyone learns about this, how will it deter people when very few of us actually care about the rankings?

You want an effective way to penalize quitting and make people to actually fight? Strike quitters somewhere that really hurts. Give them zero SM credits for quitting or even better make them pay SM credits for every quitted game.

Well if you did not care about rankings you would not of brought it up in the first place so I would say obviously it is something people care about. People are competitive by nature and want to look better than others, whether it be a status symbol in real life or an online leaderboard human nature will always want to look better. As for people not knowing I think you underestimate the common sense of people. Not to mention a system like this is common in online games with a leaderboard and that if they notice their rank dropping they will either figure it out or go looking for answers on the forums.

As for SideOne, the fix for what you said is not to remove this but to fix the exploits. The devs are constantly working on fixing any and every known exploit but it does take time as it is not a simple process. A new game will always have issues it is a bit of the cost for being some of the trail blazers in a game but we benefit from it later. I do agree it sucks that exploits exist and it really sucks that people use them but you could even look at huge companies like blizzard that had tons of issues at the beginning of WoW or even recently with the release of Diablo 3. The devs will work out the kinks as fast as possible of that I have the utmost confidence but for now it just requires patience.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:36 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Korupt wrote:
captain1821 wrote:
Korupt wrote:

Well if you did not care about rankings you would not of brought it up in the first place so I would say obviously it is something people care about. People are competitive by nature and want to look better than others, whether it be a status symbol in real life or an online leaderboard human nature will always want to look better. As for people not knowing I think you underestimate the common sense of people. Not to mention a system like this is common in online games with a leaderboard and that if they notice their rank dropping they will either figure it out or go looking for answers on the forums.

As for SideOne, the fix for what you said is not to remove this but to fix the exploits. The devs are constantly working on fixing any and every known exploit but it does take time as it is not a simple process. A new game will always have issues it is a bit of the cost for being some of the trail blazers in a game but we benefit from it later. I do agree it sucks that exploits exist and it really sucks that people use them but you could even look at huge companies like blizzard that had tons of issues at the beginning of WoW or even recently with the release of Diablo 3. The devs will work out the kinks as fast as possible of that I have the utmost confidence but for now it just requires patience.

Your 2 paragraphs are nice but you didn’t say much about the problem we talk about plus I never said that I don’t care about the rankings so the 1rst paragraph is not needed.

First of all let me assure you that there is nothing wrong with my ISP and my internet connection never ever has any problems.

SideOneDummy and me pointed out 4 dimensions of this problem and 1 easy fix that will make things a lot better.

1. Cheaters can manipulate our rankings in a very drastic way.
2. The system is not fair when it comes to random disconnections that happen frequently.
3. The vast majority of the quitters are not aware about the current system and they keep quitting like nothing has changed.
4. Even if they learn about the system, most of them will not care and the system will keep failing in preventing quits plus it will keep harming the rankings of those that care and want to compete.
And a 5th one
5. The system is not fair to quitters. It gives them the option to quit from a game that they have no chance to win so they can move forward to the next one faster and penalizes them in a way that almost all of them are not aware of. Most quitters, quit in the last 1 or 2 rounds, when they are sure that they will lose and there is nothing wrong with that.

One easy solution: Count quits as simple loses. Penalize quits with 1000 SM credits deduction or something like that.

This solution fixes all 5 problems mentioned above that has to do with this matter.

You said something about fixing the exploits. Of course this should be done but right now we are pointing out a problem that only a part of it has to do with the exploits and that part can be fixed with the suggested solution.

Also, this ranking system is not very common to online games plus every online game is different and needs its own system. Don’t look too much in what others do and stay open minded to ideas and suggestions. You are doing a fantastic job anyway and after all this is the beta and you should feel free to try new things anytime you want.
By the way, a few more images on this. At the second game I was fast enough to kill him before he had the chance to do whatever he does…

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:09 pm 
AANC Mentors
AANC Mentors

here's an idea. why dont we fix the exploits and bugs AND THEN let quitting hurt your rank more after everything is fixed. call me crazy i know it's a very complicated idea but.... i think it just might work

Hero 2nd
RFW 2nd
3rd E5 SOLO
FPM 1st
TFF 2nd
ToXc 1st
BoS 1st
OC 1st
TFF 1st X2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:07 pm 
Major
Major

Read your entire post but I am going to just hone in on your fix rather than continue to discuss stuff not directly related to what I am saying to you. So you would rather have credits taken from someone for quitting which means they are directly impacted in a negative way (meaning your disconnections, people quitting last round, and the other examples you listed) rather than have a trivial penalized? That does not make sense to me, first you say this is pointless since it doesn't hurt the quitters so it does nothing to stop them. Then you say that this unfairly hurts them and should be changed. Now you say you do care about rank after all when it is trivial and want to be docked sm credits. Your argument seems rather counterintuitive to me here and I certainly think that people should not have something taken away from them that they have earned (credits). Rank matters to people simply because of pride and it provides a bit of deterrent which is what we want but it also does not truly negatively impact them in a way that hurts them like your idea proposes. In my opinion your idea would drive players away from the game which is never a good thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:14 pm 
Corporal
Corporal

Ok, let's take it one by one.

Korupt wrote:
So you would rather have credits taken from someone for quitting which means they are directly impacted in a negative way (meaning your disconnections, people quitting last round, and the other examples you listed) rather than have a trivial penalized?

100% YES. Also it seems that others prefer this too.

Korupt wrote:
That does not make sense to me, first you say this is pointless since it doesn't hurt the quitters so it does nothing to stop them. Then you say that this unfairly hurts them and should be changed.

It does make sense just fine but I’ll explain it anyway. It is pointless because the quitters are not aware of the penalty and they will keep quitting and it is also unfair to them because you give them the option to quit and move on to the next game faster without telling them about the consequences.

Korupt wrote:
Now you say you do care about rank after all when it is trivial and want to be docked sm credits.

Once more let’s get this clear. I NEVER SAID THAT I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE RANKINGS.
There is not even a single word of mine that could imply this.

Korupt wrote:
Your argument seems rather counterintuitive to me here

There is nothing counterintuitive here. 1 problem that needs to be fixed. 5 solid reasons why this is a problem. 1 suggestion for fixing it.

Korupt wrote:
and I certainly think that people should not have something taken away from them that they have earned (credits).

You already take something from people that have already earned and this is rankings! If you believe that it is too much to deduct credits then do not do it! Just don’t award credits for quitted games. It is already suggested. But affecting rankings for people that want to compete is just too much.

Korupt wrote:
Rank matters to people simply because of pride and it provides a bit of deterrent which is what we want but it also does not truly negatively impact them in a way that hurts them like your idea proposes. In my opinion your idea would drive players away from the game which is never a good thing.

I wouldn’t agree with this. Rankings are the most important thing for people that put time and maybe money to a game that want to compete on. They simply want a fair ranking system. I don’t know if it is about pride or if it proves anything (and it is not relevant with the discussion) but I know for sure that everyone that cares about rankings has his own reasons and will not stay to a game with problematic rankings. SMs are something that can be earned easily or even bought and they do not mean much. Also, quitters will get the message right away when they will see their SMs go down and they will stop quitting. So no-one quits, no-one loses SMs, no-one leaves the game.

You don’t like that? Just do not award them anything.

If there is something to those 5 reasons that still confuses you please let me know.

By the way, there are better solutions to this but more tricky to be implemented. Current suggestion is an easy fix though.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next