It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: The next Championship Era
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:57 am 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Posting this in discussions because I don't see it as a real suggestion, I just wanted to hear what people thought.

Last time the Championship Era was on E6 (obviously). For some it was a good era, for some it wasn't. I personally loved the era, but that's not the point on this topic. The point I want to discuss is whether it would not be way more fun to do it on E1 this time.

On E6, as many can tell you, there were barely ANY newbs joining. Those that joined E6 joined because they knew beforehand what was happening on E6 and they wanted to be part of the CE or wanted to watch the CE. What that lead to was that it was very hard to get an actual income going. We were the rank 1 alliance, and I know my income never really climbed higher than 300-400 metal. My worker count was constantly low because there were no conquers to be had for conquer growth and no OPs to take to raise the worker count, my income was low because I had little worker income and no taxation. And that was with us being the rank 1 alliance, having a lot of mines and having relics/crystals. For the other alliances, it was even worse.

What's more, apart from not having conquers/Ops to take, there were also few "neutrals". What I mean by neutrals is small alliances that are formed during the round, that can either be a major pain or can be quite an ally if you get them on your side and teach them.

Anyway, the main point.. As we saw last CE, the winning side had LOTS of boosting (thank you Andrei) and lots of subs/allies. Now, we had some pretty great players, but I think every one of us will confirm that we simply needed the massive boosting and the allies, because we couldn't get any form of income going ourselves and it wouldn't have been possible to replace our armor fast enough to face our enemies, even while taking exp into the calculation.

If the next CE is on E6 again, I can tell you now that again it will be a sub fest. Not because people are all too fond of subs, simply because that's what it'd take to win. I'm considering playing the CE again myself, and I know that if I want to have a chance of winning it it's going to take lots of boosting and quite some subs. Without boosting, all it takes is a few trolls that build pure range and we won't ever get further than replacing our armor since we'd have no income again.

Whereas if the CE was on E1, you would actually stand a chance without subs. E1 is always the most populated world as it is the flagship world, and the world that obviously provides the most income. If you have an actual income you can take on subs, since subs usually get most their income from mass boosts + workers. If you can't get some conquers/OPs, your income will pretty much be as high as that of the subs, or just a bit higher, and no matter how good you play you will lose the resource game.

Anyway, that is what I want to discuss. As you can clearly see, I think it would be a better idea to hold the Champions Era on E1 since I believe we should avoid a sub-fest, and on E1 we could actually have solo alliances soar to the top. However, I am sure there are some arguments for E6 (or E1) that I've missed, and perhaps many disagree with me. Therefore I'd love to hear what people think, E1 or E6, and why.

Post subject: Re: The next Championship Era
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:13 pm 
Captain
Captain
 WWW  Profile

Dear Milan,

Well I have played the Championship Era on Earth 6 with the World Nations (WN) alliance and two of my best friends I have met in battledawn and obviously met in real life. It was really wonderful and it would take pages and pages to describe what I lived, faced and learned during this wonderful era, the emotion you get at every second when you realize you are on the top of the world, the tension you feel when it is rising when every tick on this world passes, the unforgettable "just for fun" war that took place between WN vs TLA for the relic and my well deserved 53th rank at the end.

Milan, yes, I can admit that quite a lot of us (those who played and competed in the Championship Era) had troubles because of the low income, new comers and newbs when they usually enter on the world for the first time don't really like placing in East Africa because they find it awful to be sandwiched and conquered immediately. The Principal Reason VND (DoCE) didn't have a high income is that they were strategically wrong placed on the map. Newbs prefer Antarctica or Western Russia, maybe that's why GML or Sage had a good income, perhaps. P.S: Don't take me wrong on this one but I am sure SAGE conquered Eurasia's newbs, this is why they were tough enough, apart from boosting, I swear.

As for boosting, of course, it's the kind of event that every battledawn player dreams to win, play or watch at least once in his life to make himself a reputation and I only wanted to ask one question: Guys, why don't you buy yourself some food or something to eat apart from spending or your cash on a game ? I mean the boosting on Earth 6 was insane but in a way, unbelievable. The boost bar reaches 100 % every 12 hours and Tactisoft was making all the money at that time, I am sure. The next time there is a CE, Tactisoft should really develop another game with the money they are making, now the main thing is: Despite the fact VND and SAGE were really good teams, they really needed allies, close friends and trollers to have their back. For the armor: Think twice before placing in East Africa where there is no conquer and trollers should get banned if they over exaggerate.

If the next CE is on Earth 6, obviously, it will be a sub fest but I dont know why Tactisoft didn't make this event a Solo alliance, no sub era. This question made my day the day that era ended.

Let's say it should be on Earth 1 because, logically, newbs and new comers like clicking on the Earth 1 tab in the home screen of the portal, I don't know why, whether I am right or wrong, anyways. I like Earth 1 and one tickers.

These are my opinions for the moment.

Kind regards and wish you the best for your life.

Most Crystals: 51
Highest Power: 194
Best Score: 3320

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:06 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Thanks for posting George.. Though I don't agree with everything you said, I certainly agree that the CE was a lot of fun.

Quote:
new comers and newbs when they usually enter on the world for the first time don't really like placing in East Africa because they find it awful to be sandwiched and conquered immediately. The Principal Reason VND (DoCE) didn't have a high income is that they were strategically wrong placed on the map. Newbs prefer Antarctica or Western Russia, maybe that's why GML or Sage had a good income, perhaps. P.S: Don't take me wrong on this one but I am sure SAGE conquered Eurasia's newbs, this is why they were tough enough, apart from boosting, I swear.

I don't think most place in Antarctica. On most worlds I see it's the USA, Europe, Middle/North Africa and Western Russia that I see with the most newbs placing there. Anyway, I just checked Platinum Sage's stats who had 5 conquers, Anthonymn with 25, Chryptic with 2, Kesther with 9.. Actually checking these stats shows me even more how little conquers there were on the world. There are many in the BEER/Love/VND coalition who had pretty much the entire world as their farming grounds with less than 5 conquers. PJW alone this era on E1 has 815 conquers taken, which is more than our entire team (358) + BEER (216) + HaHa (161) = 735 took COMBINED during the entire era, out of which many are us conquering simply alliances that we had to kill.

Now, of course PJW is a good player, but those conquer stats are not absurd on E1. On top of that, E1 hasn't been running as long.

Simply said, it wasn't worth it to have territory on E6. It didn't give taxation, it didn't give worker growth.

Quote:
As for boosting

I can only agree :lol: The boosting WAS insane. But believe me, the ones spending it on our side could miss it. If they couldn't, they wouldn't be spending it. But yes, we needed allies and close friends. Your suggestion for getting rid of trollers is easier said than done, lol. Trolls don't exactly place randomly, they usually find a good place to place and then start attacking. But even if you discount the random trolls throughout the map, think of subs that have 300-400 squads and are built mostly anti-you. You can't really expect to be able to just let them be, one way or another they need to be killed and that IS going to cost a lot of armor. Which is fine, I don't mind losing armor. BD is a war game, you are going to lose a lot of armor. What I do mind is losing it and not being able to replace it due to not having income.

Quote:
If the next CE is on Earth 6, obviously, it will be a sub fest but I dont know why Tactisoft didn't make this event a Solo alliance, no sub era. This question made my day the day that era ended.

They could do it as no sub, but people would just call them allies :) Many want to get rid of subs, but there's no simple fix :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:11 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

you all know that I really hate to write walls of text but I'll try :lol:
Let me review CE from an admin point of view:

First of all: It was fun.
I loved to see the activity, the spirit and the motivation of the players. As I packed those little parcels with the trophies, I really recognized how much blood, sweat and tears it has cost to get them. All of the e6 players fought till the very end. For honor, for the win, or just for the fun. I still wish, I could have been able to join such an event as player.

As admin / part of staff:

We were struggling. You might remember the day, Milan, when we talked about it and I said : okay. I'll forward it and I think we can do it.
That was lightly said, but from that point till we really got it running was a long way with many difficulties.
Me and all the staff team talked a lot about it beforehand.
Risks, organisation, costs, benefits.

Risks have been: losing players, no clear admin decisions, other servers will do very bad during that time, no competition on other servers, etc
Organisation: writing emails to hundreds of old players, having a guide for old players, ordering trophies, being non stop on Skype as the rumors started, ....
costs: our worst problem: we feared that all other servers will dry out and with that of course the income, trophies and especially the shipping
benefits: Giving the players something that they will really like

At the end, the benefit of giving the players what they would like overweight all other points.

We had never before an era, where 2 admins judge about the same server. We had never before a kind of shift system... and this was something which worked really great. (thank you Seth)
We kept each other updated all the time, and had never any issue where we couldn't agree on.
But any other point was exactly as we have foreseen.
-The competition on other server was almost zero.
-Spending tokens on other servers was almost zero.
(Even when e6 was insane, all in all it wasn't better than a usually springtime on bd)
-People doesn't like our judgement calls. (not even when 2 admins were there)
-A lot players quit after that era as they recognized they can't keep up with the activity that a competitive era needs. They just got burned out.

All in all, I still see e6 and CE as a risk.
Having this on an existing world like e1, is for me a totally no go.
First, you would have to have like 1-6 weeks of havoc (which isn't acceptable) or you would have to finish an ongoing era to start CE (which isn't acceptable as e1 player for sure)

I got asked a lot lately about the next CE, and right now, I can only answer the same: Please ask me in 2014. I think we'll do another one, but I am not sure.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:25 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

Thanks for the wall of text Ilona :lol:

Quote:
The competition on other server was almost zero.

Well, that was the plan wasn't it? :lol: Bring all the competition to one world so that there would be an utterly awesome round, which worker.

Quote:
-Spending tokens on other servers was almost zero.

I can't look into the admin logs, but I believe you. Those that would normally play another round would now probably play CE. However I do think the income was higher than it would have been without a CE. Boosting has been going down as far as I can see, if with the CE it was as high as springtime a year before in my opinion that means the CE did give extra income which makes sense to me as old players that normally don't play came back for the special round.

Quote:
-People doesn't like our judgement calls. (not even when 2 admins were there)

Granted, that's inherent on BD.. On any era, anytime :D

Quote:
-A lot players quit after that era as they recognized they can't keep up with the activity that a competitive era needs. They just got burned out.

Okay.. Sure. Not the most important arguments for me (the ones above here) as these are about a Champions Era in general, not about whether it should be on E6 or E1.

Quote:
All in all, I still see e6 and CE as a risk.
First, you would have to have like 1-6 weeks of havoc (which isn't acceptable) or you would have to finish an ongoing era to start CE (which isn't acceptable as e1 player for sure)

I got asked a lot lately about the next CE, and right now, I can only answer the same: Please ask me in 2014. I think we'll do another one, but I am not sure.

Of course, it is a risk. But there are many that would like to see another CE, that I know for sure. Maybe don't have it in the springtime when boosting income is already high in general but have it start in August so that you have 2 peaks.

As far as your issues with taking E1 over E6.. Yes, if we would do a very long havoc or stop a world mid-era that would seem silly indeed, and I can see the problems with that. Someone else might have a better suited solution, however there is one that I can think of and it's rather simple. While E1 is going on and we want to start CE just rename the E1 that is going on to E6 so that it's last in the list of worlds to select and open the Champions Era on E1. It's just a simple fact that most people join the first world they see, which is E1 because it is called E1 and it is the world on top of the list. So during the era, just have it called Earth 1, or Earth 1 Championship. Then at the end you can always change the name to E6, that is no problem. Really, the only reason is to make people join the CE rather than another round.

But yeah, of course all this is moot if we aren't going to have another CE :lol: I know I would love to see another one and many with me :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:55 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Ilona wrote:

]

This is a very good point but there may be a workaround

Letting E1 players know the cut off date of the era that's played before the Championship Era

If an E1 Era was to start on the understanding it it going to end after a short period (and the players knew the date) would people really have a problem?

An era of a few hundred ticks might an interesting novelty.

Perhaps everyone would just go crazy as they would see they had the chance of winning or getting a top 3 position very quickly.

you could choose to release relics (with very few troops protecting them) half way through the era or not release them at all

you could do a pole to sound the above out?

Just a suggestion :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:54 pm 
Lieutenant Major
Lieutenant Major

I agree, that would be an option as well.. Though I think I'd prefer my option since that way they don't have to cut short the current era.

Anyway, you do agree it should be on E1 then?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:46 pm 
Captain
Captain

All BD has to do is make the CE server is the preferred era above the rest. As long as it shows up first for new signups, players will come there. I know it can't be that difficult for them to do this and see no reason why they would not want their champion era be the most populated.

8+ years of Battledawn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:51 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Milanos wrote:

Anyway, you do agree it should be on E1 then?

I 90% agree (read below)

gaurav1 wrote:
All BD has to do is make the CE server is the preferred era above the rest. As long as it shows up first for new signups, players will come there. I know it can't be that difficult for them to do this and see no reason why they would not want their champion era be the most populated.

In principle I prefer this idea but....

I seem to remember someone saying something about it being a "championship era" was putting off new players and inexperienced players

The new players thought it was for champions and inexperienced players didn't think they had a chance so didn't bother

I don't know if this situation was real or perceived but it kind of makes sense to me

My instincts tell me that it being top of the page will make the biggest difference but why not try to cover all the angles?

On this basis Id go for the E1 championship aproach

EDIT - er I don't think that last bit came out right :roll:

To clarify I mean I'd go for the Championship on the E1 server

Last edited by Get1 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:59 pm 
Major
Major

gaurav1 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure, I think (as I've already shared with Milan) that the name of the era may intimidate players as well. Whether it be the newbs trying to join a world or the decent players we have around now they may just think they cannot possibly compete in a "Champions" era so why even bother placing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next