It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Client Updates - Sunday June 14th, 2009
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:19 pm 
Captain
Captain

A few things to keep in mind:

There is NO MORE MAINTENANCE. I stress this because it changes a lot of things, in relation to conquers this makes keeping control of your conquers much easier. No longer do you have to keep barracks' around the map and move units to a gate, then gate and reconquer; You can simply have a gate network and have units sitting on gates around your conquers at all times ready to teleport, quell a conquer and be back before suppertime!

If a player goes on vacation for inactivity that means they have sat for 300 ticks(Over 6 days) and not attacked you or rebelled. Looking at the conquers of the #1 player the average conquer is making about 2100 metal & oil over a 300 tick period. So 1 inactive conquer gets you enough metal and oil on average to make 10 armoured vehicles every 6 days, what if you had 5 of those conquers? 10,500 metal and oil over 6 days, that's enough to make 16 ranged tanks in 6 days on JUST the resources coming in from 5 conquers which is nothing in the game.

We'll be discussing this feature more tomorrow when more of the staff are online, except to see some tweaks to the auto-vacation feature soon.

TyraelRaven wrote:
Southern Smoke's idea does have some appeal, that would at least be better than the current system for auto-vacation and deletion, however, here's the issue:

As one gets conquers and expands his/her positions using the income, his/her expansions are being supported by the income from his/her conquers, whether they are active or inactive. However, if these conquers start hitting the 300-tick mark and one loses that source of income, one's future conquers will simply replace the now-lost income. As such, this will essentially put a limit on the player's ability to become more powerful, and force the player to have to be continually conquering other players in order to just sustain their income.

Further, as the round goes on and the less active, and therefore easier to conquer, players disappear, which leaves less people for one to conquer, and can then leave one to essentially become more or less too big to support, and the player will lose any accomplishment. As such, all but the very best players who conquer the active and competent players will lose their ability to grow in power and scope throughout the game.

Your thoughts, Andrew?

Being as maintenance is not an issue you can easily have 500-600 units with only a few conquers if this situation arose. If you go for relics and crystals then they will supplement your need for conquers very easily. That's what stronger players should be going for, crystals and relics, they are more beneficial when you get too large and it is difficult to maintain anymore conquers.

-Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:16 am 
Private
Private

Dont mess with Andrew!! I love you man!! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:34 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Andrew wrote:
300 ticks of uninterrupted and unchallenged taxation from a colony is not enough...?

-Andrew

thats the thing i conquered 2 guys 10 ticks ago and then 1 tick later the auto thing comes on so i just wasted time on them and oil. it just makes me mad i sent those 2 squads of range tanks on a conquering mission that was no benefit to me. i could have used them for other active conquers but no i didnt get 1 thing of oil/metal from them

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 am 
Corporal
Corporal

I for one am extremely frustrated with the continued mismanagement of this situation.

I know that this game is owned by Tacticsoft, but, it is our game, we the players are the people who invest our time, care and even money in this game. I am not suggesting that we should dictate how it is run or even when updates are performed. But come on ! Once again BD introduces major changes and updates without the slightest warning or guidance.

The fact that once again Andrew was only told at the last minute only shows how poor the communications have become for all concerned.

Battledawn wants to be the top game on the 'net' but the continued mismanagement of updates and rule changes is just driving people away. If you want to do updates just give us proper warning of when you want to do them. Could you not have a slot each week where these changes could be done. Maybe we could even plan to sleep then !!

And some information on the nature of changes would also be appreciated. This new game is hard enough to learn without a guide, the constant rule changes and updates only seek to constantly render strategies and plans out of date. How can we do anything if the rule we know today will be replaced tomorrow - give us information - Please!

E1 Mo of KOA - The Fighting 69th
E3-A5 Mo of Kingdom of Armagh - ARM
E3-A6 Barney Gumble - The Simpsons

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:44 am 
Private
Private

Many people seem to be losing faith in BD. But i trust micheal, Seth, And the Tactisoft crew to work things out.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:07 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Hey guys dont take your anger out on andrew. He is the only one answering questions about everything.

Take it easy on him. He doesnt deserve the rudeness that all of you have.

He is one person and he gets stuff last minute.. shouldnt be mad at him or seth.. should be mad at the tacticsoft team (michael and the IT/developer team).

They did this stuff without notice (which they are allowed to do its in the ToS and they reserve a right to do stuff without notice).

Only can say chill out. Cut Andrew/Seth/BD moderators some slack. They are doing there best to answer any and all questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:03 am 
Captain
Captain

I'll be talking to Michael today about setting up more regular update days and/or giving notice about any game changing updates at least 24hrs in advance. I know how you guys feel about not being notified of updates!

-Andrew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:01 am 
Captain
Captain

Right.

I'd agree with the fact that the release of the Inactivity Update was a little bit of a shock, and I do agree with you that we should have warned you in advance. However due to the nature of the amount of work going into development, as well as the fact that the programmers never know when they'll be able to release something. Due to the fact that new bugs etc. crop up all over the place.

As for the inactivity issue itself. Of course, the affect of implementing this sort of system without warning and suddenly does cause a commotion. But, as Andrew has said, the inactivity is roughly the same as the old one in terms of "How many ticks of resources do you get out of a conquer before they go inactive?" - The only difference is that they are put into vacation mode before they are deleted. Which doesn't really affect the conquer at all in terms of resources gained.

What you must understand is that battledawn, at the moment, is being constantly updated, due to the nature of a new release. This means that bugs WILL (and I mean, WILL, there's not a "Might" about it) crop up at unexpected moments leading to a rush to fix it and get the balancing working (Such as the new structure prices).

I know, it's a little unpolished. And it's frustrating having to work around the new updates. However, when this is all stabilized we will be able to more accurately predict updates and keep you "in the know"

For the moment, however much myself and the team try, we're all under a tremendous amount of work. I understand this is no excuse but please, try to bare with us.

St.Even

The Battle Dawn Staff:
Working with you, to make and maintain
the very best browser based game!

*Lemon-Flavoured, according to Andrew...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:07 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Steven and Andrew are right, you've got to give it time. If they don't fix these things now, they could become a bigger issue down the road. Just remember, the new client is still in the development stage... and you all know it is, yet you continue to complain.

Think of it this way, you've got 300 POSSIBLE ticks of resources, then they have 300 ticks to log on. If the old way was still implemented they wouldn't be able to log on at all, it would be deleted instantly leaving an outpost... which is 300 resources. You guys are just a little greedy!

But yes, I do find it kind of messed up that a person can be put into V mode shortly after they're conquered. Might I suggest an automatic 50 ticks or so of forced activity after they're conquered? (If they're about to be put into V mode) That would get you a nice little boost, and get your oil (and then some) back.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:39 pm 
Captain
Captain

I've been discussing this feature in detail with St. Even today and I believe we've worked out a way to make everyone happy. I'll be running over the details with our programmers and will post more details about what tweaks we're making to the auto-vacation feature as soon as it's finalized.

-Andrew

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next